Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Post Load Data Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR with 120gr Projectiles
#17
Took some measurements tonight of the Sierra 120 grain Pro Hunter and my chamber, seems like the bullets are consistently hitting the lands at ~ 2.2320". My methods are crude as I use a wooden dowel to push the bullet into the lands and then lightly tap it back out through the muzzle end and measure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11130[/ATTACH]

Since this is intended to be loaded for hunting I will attempt to seat the bullet .008" off the lands at ~ 2.2260"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11131[/ATTACH]

This is a flat base bullet so you can see through the relief cuts how deeply set into the case the Pro Hunter is

Looking at Sierra's load data, they show the other Alliant Power Pro Powder going all the way up to 29.6 grains @ 2600 FPS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11132[/ATTACH]

Comparing this to the Speer load data for the 120 grain Gold Dot you'll see they listed their max load at 27.3 which is the midrange of Sierra's load data.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11133[/ATTACH]

I'm wondering if Sierra is misprinting the Alliant powder and is actually using 2000-MR .... Nah probably not - but again it is interesting that Speer stopped at 27.3 grains and listed 2000-MR well past where Sierra stopped with Power Pro (29.6).

I just seated a bullet successfully (without springback from compression on powder) with 31.4 grains of PP2k-MR. So it looks doable , I’ll shoot and monitor velocity on lower charges and report back here hopefully by Monday


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
               
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Post Load Data Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR with 120gr Projectiles - by HuntTXhogs - 02-23-2018, 03:44 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)