02-20-2018, 02:48 AM
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018, 02:11 AM by HuntTXhogs.)
Picked up some PP2kMR today, I have 300 pieces of new Hornady brass primed with CCI450 primers ready to rock.
Speer reported via telephone to me today that they do not know when the 120 grain Gold Dot will be released to dealers, so that part of this project will have to wait until Speer is ready.
I will begin with Sierra Pro Hunter 120 grain bullets and this powder. The bullet hits the lands in my rifle at a COAL less than magazine length and is 1.070" in length so it is my thought that if ANY other 120 grain bullet is going to match the velocity numbers from Speer's recipe guide it would be this shorter bullet.
I will more than likely work this slow and steady from the starting charge weight of 28.5 grains. Temps for the next month will be 40 - 70 degrees, by June/July we'll be in the 90+ and I'll have to see what these rounds do then.
I also ordered some 120 grain ELD-Match and 120 grain Prvi HPBT bullets, both of these will be longer than the Pro Hunter and Gold Dot (Speer guessed it is 1.120" in length), and I assume that velocities won't be able to go to max due to powder encroachment.
So the goal with the Pro Hunters is 2525 FPS, I'll try to use a chronograph to watch for velocity flattening or spikes... This is a lightweight Grendel rifle with an 18" barrel
Speer reported via telephone to me today that they do not know when the 120 grain Gold Dot will be released to dealers, so that part of this project will have to wait until Speer is ready.
I will begin with Sierra Pro Hunter 120 grain bullets and this powder. The bullet hits the lands in my rifle at a COAL less than magazine length and is 1.070" in length so it is my thought that if ANY other 120 grain bullet is going to match the velocity numbers from Speer's recipe guide it would be this shorter bullet.
I will more than likely work this slow and steady from the starting charge weight of 28.5 grains. Temps for the next month will be 40 - 70 degrees, by June/July we'll be in the 90+ and I'll have to see what these rounds do then.
I also ordered some 120 grain ELD-Match and 120 grain Prvi HPBT bullets, both of these will be longer than the Pro Hunter and Gold Dot (Speer guessed it is 1.120" in length), and I assume that velocities won't be able to go to max due to powder encroachment.
So the goal with the Pro Hunters is 2525 FPS, I'll try to use a chronograph to watch for velocity flattening or spikes... This is a lightweight Grendel rifle with an 18" barrel

