02-05-2018, 01:45 AM
I feel your pain, Toehead. Like they say on some Facebook relationships, it's complicated.
After a manufacturing FUBAR (painful details can be found on threads on the forum), Satern started selling their barrels with what they called Grendel II chambers. The Grendel II has a parallel throat, rather than Alexander's compound throat. The parallel throat allows bullets to be seated longer than the SAAMI throat. I can get you a diagram of the difference if you're interested.
Type II versus Type I on the bolt design is a different deal. Alexander Arms designed the Grendel to use his .50 Beowulf bolt, which has a bolt face depth of 0.136", while the bolt face depth for 223/5.56 ARs is 0.125". For some unknown reason, Black Hole Weaponry (BHW) started calling bolts with 0.125" face depths Type I and they called the correct Grendel bolts Type II. Sadly, others in the industry have perpetuated this situation.
I would agree that your best bet is to select a barrel with the SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber and be sure it is cut to utilize a 0.136" bolt face.
After a manufacturing FUBAR (painful details can be found on threads on the forum), Satern started selling their barrels with what they called Grendel II chambers. The Grendel II has a parallel throat, rather than Alexander's compound throat. The parallel throat allows bullets to be seated longer than the SAAMI throat. I can get you a diagram of the difference if you're interested.
Type II versus Type I on the bolt design is a different deal. Alexander Arms designed the Grendel to use his .50 Beowulf bolt, which has a bolt face depth of 0.136", while the bolt face depth for 223/5.56 ARs is 0.125". For some unknown reason, Black Hole Weaponry (BHW) started calling bolts with 0.125" face depths Type I and they called the correct Grendel bolts Type II. Sadly, others in the industry have perpetuated this situation.
I would agree that your best bet is to select a barrel with the SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber and be sure it is cut to utilize a 0.136" bolt face.

