01-15-2018, 04:09 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 04:12 AM by StoneHendge.)
In my experience, Aero’s prowess in AR-15 does not translate into the AR10 platform. Barrel fit was sloppy. I bought the Aero LPK to be on the safe side and I’ve been having problems with the bolt catch. Sometimes it only catches the carrier and not the bolt when the mag empties. Sometimes it loses its grip and the bolt will slam forward if I bump it. I use a chamber flag when I’m in the field with it. I think proper tensioning of the screw might have solved it, but I haven’t gotten into the field to check.
Definitely go with R+2 - slower powders and timing are an issue. Full mass carrier to delay unlocking. Adjustable gas block is necessary -Proof recommended Superlative bleed off to me and it’s been working.
C-Products mags allow for the longest COAL. I use PMags for 130 gr Norma GTs, but the C Products allow for another 0.055” and is what I use for 140 RDFs. I doubt my barrel would shoot them well at PMag length.
You’ll see that most of the higher end barrel manufacturers recommend a JP high pressure bolt. Be prepared for sticker shock! A JP barrel is actually well within your price range when you consider that it comes with the bolt. The downside to skimping on the bolt is that most guys can’t get past 130s and there are some out there that can’t even get past 123s. Very few can get worthwhile velocities with 140s. My sweet spot with 140 RDFs is a Hodgdon max charge of 41 gr of H4350.
Also start keeping an eye out for H4350. It IS the powder you want.
Edit: I was typing while VASCAR was posting, but he hit the nail on the head IN RE the bolt.
Definitely go with R+2 - slower powders and timing are an issue. Full mass carrier to delay unlocking. Adjustable gas block is necessary -Proof recommended Superlative bleed off to me and it’s been working.
C-Products mags allow for the longest COAL. I use PMags for 130 gr Norma GTs, but the C Products allow for another 0.055” and is what I use for 140 RDFs. I doubt my barrel would shoot them well at PMag length.
You’ll see that most of the higher end barrel manufacturers recommend a JP high pressure bolt. Be prepared for sticker shock! A JP barrel is actually well within your price range when you consider that it comes with the bolt. The downside to skimping on the bolt is that most guys can’t get past 130s and there are some out there that can’t even get past 123s. Very few can get worthwhile velocities with 140s. My sweet spot with 140 RDFs is a Hodgdon max charge of 41 gr of H4350.
Also start keeping an eye out for H4350. It IS the powder you want.
Edit: I was typing while VASCAR was posting, but he hit the nail on the head IN RE the bolt.
Let's go Brandon!

