Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I'm sorry to ask again...A-Max, SST, or ELX-M????
#2
The 123 grain SST bullet is designed to be a hunting bullet. The 123 grain SST has a cannelure in the jacket which aids in keeping the jacket attached to the lead core. The A-Max and ELD-M are designed for target shooting. At close range the A-Max and ELD-M can over expand or fragment if hitting large strong bones like shoulder and upper leg bones. This expansion and fragmentation limits penetration.

Many hunters like a bullet which will completely perforate the target to ensure a visibile blood trail. The Barnes monolithic TSX and TTSX are noted for this type of performance. The Nosler Partitions are designed to be deep penetrators where the bullet core will have enough mass to push through the target.

Many forum members have used 123 grain A-Max on deer with success but you have to realize that the higher the velocity, close range, the greater likely hood the bullet may under penetrate especially if the bullet strikes a large bone. Classic example is your using a 24” barrel and have a deer 30 yards away, I would not aim for the shoulder. Some hunters complain the A-Max causes to much tissue damage compared to the monolithic bullets. Here again it all depends on the barrel length of your 6.5 Grendel, distance to target and shot placement.

I’ve read the 123 grain SST requires a minimum of 1800 FPS to expand which should be taken into consideration for determining the maximum range when using your 12” 6.5 Grendel. Supposedly the 123 grain A-Max will expand at a little lower velocity than the 123 grain SST. The reports I’ve read indicates the 123 grain ELD-M performs in a similar manner to the 123 grain A-Max. Since Hornady has stopped production on the A-Max and the ELD-M black can be found cheaper than the 123 grain SST I’d stock up on the ELD-M and just be aware of it’s limitation in the hunting role.

I haven’t shot enough 123 grain ELD-M and 123 grain SST ammo to see how close they both are to my rifles zero. The last time I shot 123 grain A-Max and 123 grain SST both struck close enough to my zero point to be accurate for hunting out to at least 250 yards.

To my knowledge the ELD-X is the hunting version of the ELD bullet line from Hornady. I haven’t seen any 123 grain ELD-X ammo or bullets for sale. I would assume the performance of the ELD-X would be similar to the 123 grain SST but with a more heat resistent polymer tip on the ELD-X. The only ELD-X bullet I’ve seen for sale were 140 grain which is probably to heavy for the 6.5 Grendel.

Sorry for the long post.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
I'm sorry to ask again...A-Max, SST, or ELX-M???? - by VASCAR2 - 11-06-2017, 03:58 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)