Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
First AR Build-Would Love Your Feedback!
#21
Bmiller35 Wrote:I don't need saltwater protection or anything that extreme, but just like the look of the OD/black combo. It's really as simple as that. It's my first DIY, so I want to do it right, you know?

Absolutely, I didn't mean any of that as a negative. Building is addictive and getting exactly what you want is the whole fun of it. You should want to sit in your living room and drool over it when it's all done. And I like that look too; for example I think this finish is awesome: https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/ar15-cer...handguard/.

I'm just giving you my 2 cents, which is that from a functional perspective there is no reason to spend hundreds of extra dollars on special billet receivers. I'm far from one of the most knowledgeable members here, but I don't think you're going to see any performance difference between a forged receiver set from a reputable manufacturer and a billet set unless you want a side charger upper or some other feature that can't be had in forged.

It really comes down to how much cost savings matter to you. If the answer is very little, I fully endorse the notion of "buy once cry once" and getting exactly what you want. But if that is a concern I would be inclined to say you will be better served by saving on the receivers (i.e., get plain forged receivers and have them duracoated later or buy cheaper pre-finished ones like Aero carries) and putting the savings towards a better scope and mount for example. In short, the receivers are the best place to skimp, at least relatively speaking. In no particular order, barrel, trigger, scope and a comfortable stock that facilitates a good cheek weld will be much more important.

Regardless, I'll be interested to follow along and see how your build turns out, as it seems like you've put a lot of thought into building a sweet machine. Hopefully at least some of my rambling will help along the way!
Reply


Messages In This Thread
First AR Build-Would Love Your Feedback! - by Dcommoncents - 10-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)