04-06-2011, 03:24 AM
bwaites Wrote:I understand that first hand experience trumps all.Like I said in my first post on this thread, i chose a piston for my rifle because I truly believe in the operational quality of the system vs DI. The majority of the weapons systems I fired over the years have been military issued, some fairly old and not tended to properly. I have also owned several DI chambered for 5.56, and have always had problems with stove piping double feeding etc. I've tried dry lube, Rem oil you name it all to no avail. This is the first rifle I had built to my specifications and for a different caliber, with the micro slick and the piston system including the PWS compensator the felt recoil is approx the same to the 5.56 and the muzzle rise is all but unnoticeable. After years of 2nd, 3rd and lowest cost firearms use, I spent the money for this superior round, and have my first 'high class' AR. at a cost of 1500 for the upper alone it should be hahaha. I have put around 600-700rnds through it and only cleaned the piston tube twice, no lube. outside of brass fouling on the extractor, no other cleaning was needed. I have not had a single misfire/malfunction to mention. So in short I do agree with your assessment bwaites, but i also cant shake my opinion of DI systems. I am also currently considering a hydraulic buffer, my thought being that even though it is a semi auto rifle, it will all but eliminate recoil. But I am hesitant to do so because I am not confident that a factory load will expell enough gas to slide the bolt to the rear properly if the hydraulic buffer is installed. I am really curious to know what the you salty dogs think on this.
I often wonder, though, the quality of builds and maintenance in failure rates.
I had to shoot something like 700 rounds over many months, without cleaning, to get my Grendel to have a misfeed.
