I chased down an old thread on CBB performance and the pix and descriptions there showed them as the petals peeling back (as opposed to breaking off), for that caliber at tested velocities. So that answers that question. There was also mention of being made of "soft/er copper" (no values or compositions given), which is consistent with 52's and your statements... I'm not a metallurgy expert so will rely on you-all's observations for that.
Thanks!
Lead's days, unfortunately, may be numbered since the last USA smelter was forced to close a couple of years ago IIRC... so we definitely need some innovations and ways to keep accurate, inexpensive reloading components coming. That's what America is good at -- innovation.
edit: Not to be misunderstood - I like the regular cup/core lead/copper Hornady, Sierra, Nosler bullets we have right now, just fine!!! just sayin'.
Thanks!
Lead's days, unfortunately, may be numbered since the last USA smelter was forced to close a couple of years ago IIRC... so we definitely need some innovations and ways to keep accurate, inexpensive reloading components coming. That's what America is good at -- innovation.
edit: Not to be misunderstood - I like the regular cup/core lead/copper Hornady, Sierra, Nosler bullets we have right now, just fine!!! just sayin'.

