08-25-2017, 05:18 PM
LRRPF52 Wrote:I'm getting 5 mils drop at 600yds for a 147gr FMJBT from a 16" barrel at 2600fps (M80 ball - I've fired boat loads of this in my life BTW).More importantly, comparing 6.5 GREN 123gr SMK to 7.62 NATO 147gr FMJ is apples vs oranges. Should be comparing 6.5 FMJ to 7.62 FMJ.
More importantly though, I'm getting 1.9 mils of drift at 600yds, which sucks pretty bad. 697ft-lbs of energy
16" 7.62 NATO Carbine, 147gr M80 at 2600fps
600 1461fps 697ft-lbs 5 mils drop 1.9 mils drift
For a 16" Grendel with a 123gr SMK at 2450fps:
600 1581fps 682 ft-lbs 5.1 mils drop 1.5 mils drift
I colored each area where the particular data favored one cartridge over the other. Look how close the energy numbers are BTW after the Grendel started 150fps slower.
I normally don't compare Grendel to 7.62 NATO with a 147gr FMJBT because it just isn't nice...
Wolf 100gr FMJ (???? BC)
Prvi 110gr FMJ (0.407 BC)
Norma 120gr FMJ (0.428 BC)
LRRPF52 Wrote:...so I use one of the better target bullets out there, namely the 175gr SMK, which is a great performer from the .308 really.Which is perfectly appropriate for comparisons of sniper ammo, but gives inapplicable data for comparing infantry rifle/carbine/machine gun ball ammo.
