08-25-2017, 05:39 PM
LRRPF52 Wrote:Every time I pull the trigger on a 16" 7.62 NATO carbine that someone has brought to one of my courses or someone lets me shoot at the range, each cycling of the action and loss of sight picture rings in my head like this:
"Bang...So glad I have Grendel. Bang-SO Glad I have Grendel. Bang....Da** this sucks. Bang...Who thought this was a good idea? Bang...To think that this was my dream gun one time. Bang...I can hear my impacts, but sight picture has come way off target each time-asa that me or another shooter? Bang....Gotta love that muzzle concussion and FOV disruption."
A lot of 147gr FMJBT M80 is all over the place at 600yds, especially from a SCAR with a factory trigger. When I was competing with .308 Win., I was shooting the 155gr Scenar as fast as I could because at the time, we were accepting the stated BC of it being in the .5s, which turned out to be way inflated. A lot of us made that choice over the 175gr SMK based on the stated BC alone, when it turns out that the 175gr SMK has a better BC, bucks the wind better, holds its energy a little better. A 155gr Scenar was all over the place in normal wind conditions at 800-1000yds for me and my friends even from top-end rifles with top end barrels, top-end shops, top-end glass. The 155gr Scenar smokes a 147gr FMJBT all day long, with one exception being the German MEN stuff. That ammo is match-grade perfection, very fast, superb brass, super consistent bullet, way flat like a .260 Rem, but nowhere near the wind deflection of a 6.5mm.
For those that are die-hard, 7.62 NATO, 1930s-1950s regressive thinking (from decades of .276 Pedersen, 6.5x55, 6.5x54 M-S progress), that MEN ammo is wonderful TGT ammo.
Even guys shooting Creedmoor or .260 Rem can't put the round count onto a plate at distance as fast and easy as I can with a little 18" or 20" Grendel. I have them all, and there is a certain amount of atmospheric and particulate matter disturbance that happens with muzzle blast, requiring a lag time between shots to let the dust settle and the atmosphere to equalize.
I see a distortion of the air around the muzzle that obscures the target when I break the shot through one of the larger volume cartridges, especially when rapid-firing or wanting that fast follow-up shot, even at altitude. You can see what I'm talking about at 0:29 seconds into this video:
[video=youtube;sRnL_Mk2p9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRnL_Mk2p9E[/video]
This was that same persons response to what you said:
Quote:Now go and ask them what that performance of a 6.5 bullet manufactured by the military arsenals would be.
Note, I used M80 ball as the 7.62 ref. There is no military ball equivalent for 6.5 Grendel.
We are not talking about target and ringing a steel plate at or past 600m. We are talking about combat shooting here. Terminal ballistics is the end game at greater range.
The 264 USA has a MV of 2650fps where as the Grendel only has 2450 from a 16in barrel (both using the same 123gr SMK)
Why is that important? Because FMJ or military ball ammo already bleed off 60 to 70% of its delivered energy inside a mans body. FMJ, besides only putting a hole in a mans body, still does very little damage.
Again, you have to remember that this is for the Army and not dudes on a range shooting at targets.
Reply With Quote
LRRPF52, i truly appreciate everything you do & the info that you share.

