08-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Klem Wrote:Timmy,
If you are convinced these thing are surplus to requirements then by all means get rid of them. One option is to remove the dust cover and the pin holding the thumb device on a normal upper. That'll save most of the weight you are concerned about. I challenge you though to get a mate to hand you the same gun with and without those parts (just tape them to the side to save time) while you are blindfolded and test if you can tell which one is lighter. If you can't then that'll be your conundrum for the day.
I think it is called Weber's Law. 'As the size of the stimulus increases, our ability to detect differences in it decreases', or something like that. The stimulus in this case is the weight of the whole gun, and the differences is with, and without the dust cover and FA. The heavier your gun, the less likely you will notice small changes in weight like those two items.
I sometimes work the action slightly when a round is up the spout. Not enough to eject but just to check that everything is working and not gummed up. Then finish off with thumb on FA for peace of mind (left handed). Especially after rain or water crossing. I don't spend days out in the weeds anymore so I guess it's more habit than necessary. I've loaded a few rounds quietly with the FA over the years, but not many. I think the dust cover is a good bit of kit. It keeps the right hand side fully camouflaged if you've painted it. And... it keeps the dust out.
I'd go run around in the weeds with you anytime, Klem. I'd watch you slowly get farther and farther away until I was alone and scared. But I am sure that without a doubt I would learn a thing or two.

