08-15-2017, 06:12 PM
This is just some general information that might be useful to others. I'm building a rifle (slowly) and am using a Vltor MUR-1A upper receiver. I bought the PT&G lapping tool to use on the receiver before assembly. The tool pilot will not fit the MUR receiver. Vltor advertises the MUR as a "Mil-Spec correct upper with a thicker wall." That definition is accurate. The thicker wall prohibits using the PT&G tool on the MUR receiver. I "assume" that lapping tools made by the other manufacturers would all have the same pilot diameter, but I don't have another one to check. I PM'd LRRPF52 over the weekend to ask his advice. He mentioned that it might be beneficial to post this in the open forum and I just found this thread. So, if any of you have any experience with the MUR receiver, or have run into this issue before, I'd be interested to hear about it. If anyone has an alternative lapping method that might work, I'd also be grateful to hear about that also.
Great thread.
Great thread.

