08-14-2017, 12:03 AM
Klem Wrote:A top-end barrel and scope for bench-rest will be at the mercy of any play in the stock if you go collapsible.
I know it's a feature of AR15's to be able to collapse the stock but frankly, do you really need this? I ask the question because a collapsible brings with it the risk of play in what sounds like a scenario where you want it to be as rigid as possible.
With a 20" barrel you won't find that collapsing the stock a few inches is going to be of much benefit....
FWIW, I have the Magpul ACS on my rifle, and it serves well for precision shooting. The adjustability of it is nice for establishing your optimum length of pull, your most comfortable cheek weld and eye relief. The slight amount of "wiggle" mine has is only in a rotational direction around the buffer tube, maybe 0.05", and once you press the lock, it doesn't move at all. I can maintain 1-1/4 MOA out to 1000 yards with the Grendel, so whatever movement my buttstock might have hasn't seemed to hurt me.
From a personal use standpoint, the collapsibility is useful because I use a single lower for two uppers. The Grendel is used for bench and long-range shooting, and my 300BLK upper is for CQB, and the buttstock is fully collapsed for maneuverability when used for that.

