08-13-2017, 04:22 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017, 04:27 PM by Cockednlocked.)
bj139 Wrote:The 6.5mm has a range of bullet weights from 85g to 160g, probably more. These range from heavy 5.56 to light 308. Different loads could be used to simulate the current cartridges.
The Grendel's "sweet spot" is probably the 123 grain, at least in an AR chassis. Bigger (heavier) than that, the bullet starts using case capacity that requires decreasing the powder load, and velocity suffers. If you can load longer (not restricted by magazine length), then 140's do work well, although I see them as more of a choice for a Creedmoor. Recoil with the 140's in my AR is greater, and the 120fps I give up in MV with those loads over the 123's isn't made up by the better BC the 140 has, at least past 750 yards.
Since building my AR Grendel upper, it's about all I shoot any more, and I have a very nice M1A Loaded and another good .308 bolt gun. My 123 AMAX's are supersonic at 1125 yards (2660 MV) from a 20" barrel and I get consistent 7-8/10 hits at 1000 yards on 18" steel plates. The misses are due to the shooter, and not the rifle. I've thought about building/buying a Creedmoor, but the only advantage I can see, for me anyway, is being able to reach another 200 yards or so. Not worth the price.

