08-04-2017, 09:57 PM
One thing we have to think about with the AR15 and other gas-operated weapons that generate heat wherever the excess gases are allowed to vent is lubrication of those areas.
Since the AR15 vents from within the carrier out the ejection port, any thin lubricants we place on the main reciprocating mass might have a tendency to evaporate quicker due to cooking off.
This is one area where I find thicker lubes to be useful, but this is normally on high-volume guns.
For bolt guns, I have different considerations as there is hardly any heat sinking into the bolt body or lugs.
Since the AR15 vents from within the carrier out the ejection port, any thin lubricants we place on the main reciprocating mass might have a tendency to evaporate quicker due to cooking off.
This is one area where I find thicker lubes to be useful, but this is normally on high-volume guns.
For bolt guns, I have different considerations as there is hardly any heat sinking into the bolt body or lugs.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
