08-01-2017, 10:50 PM
shooter545 Wrote:You sing and I'll stomp my feet!
I spent a buttload of money on a custom .260 gasser and thought it was the ultimate Shite. Then I was shooting the MGM Ironman 3 gun match several years ago and was squadded with Neil Emory of Hornady. He shot before me on the stage that has a sniper rifle shoot for bonus targets. It is a really high pay off if you shoot and hit the bonus targets. Neil shot before me and I watched him shoot. He did really well and then got to the part where he shot the sniper rifle for bonus score(like 5 second per target hit off your match score. That is a a lot.) and he wore them out.
As he was coming back up range I noticed he had a regular AR15. I asked him what in the hell load in 5.56 he was shooting that allowed him to clean all the bonus targets(500-900yds) like he did. He said that it was Bennie Cooley's JP 6.5 Grendel and it was easy. I stood there with my mouth open.
Thus was the beginning of my 6.5 Grendel journey. Shortly there after I found a 20" AA on the boards here for sale(thank you to fellow Army Warrant Officer)I now have
three of them and my super high speed custom .260 just seems to sit in the safe.
I work in the gun/defense industry and shoot a lot of .308 and 5.56 for demos, but if you say "Lets's head to the range and shoot I'm going to grab a 6.5 Grendel every time. Shoots really hard and really easy.
I keep the other stuff for work demos but it just that work tools.
So I'm not the only one who has had that experience with the .260 Remington and 6.5 Grendel I see.
I really like the performance of both cartridges out of gas guns, but the Grendel is just easier to deal with all around.
Wish we would have had something like this in the tool box in Sniper Sections, where an M4 or SPR-profile blaster could serve as both a shoot-and-move fighting blaster, to a precision long range platform that doesn't scorch barrels in Sniper school either.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
