07-31-2017, 09:49 PM
Lastrites Wrote:Besides the holy cow price, you would be adding a buffer that weighs more than twice as much as a std rifle buffer and if your barrels gas port is drilled properly you may certainly find out that it is too much mass for proper operation and then it becomes a relic of overkill. Personally I rather buy some tungsten weights and swap them as I see fit if the need arises. Keeping in mind that a 18" or 20" barrel with a rifle gas system is typically a pretty soft shooting rifle if gassed properly.
I have a couple of rifles with Tubbs flatwire, to me they really don't seem to have extra strong spring weight like a wolf XP, but they do seem to provide a different spring cycle on how they compress and release. One thing that does ignore me about the flat wire style is that they are for me a minor pain in the a$$ to remove from the receiver extension as the flat wire tends to hang up a bit on the buffer detent. The bonus is they do seem to be more quiet in operation than a std round spring.
I have a 24 inch bull barrel for this build so the weight to counterbalance that is actually desirable. Am I significantly risking reliability if I pick up the heavy buffer? I'll mostly be shooting Hornady/AA factory ammo but might run a few boxes of the Wolf stuff just for fun.

