07-04-2017, 11:13 PM
bj139 Wrote:I will take your suggestion of H322 for the Grendel since the Lee load data I got with the dies lists it for 85g up to 123g bullets and it seems to be the most efficient powder per unit weightYou may wish to consider the purchase of the official Grendel Reloading Handbooks. (Check AA's website or LRRPF52's signature for a link to AR15Buildbox.com or something like that.) They are truly a fount of information about anything you can imagine about reading this round. The authors went the extra mile: Their collaborative effort included pressure testing, terminal ballistics testing, etc. The books contain information you will never get simply by googling recipes from unknowns like myself. Further, while I can offer the customary (but seldom regarded) warnings about starting low and working your way up, etc., the bottom line is my barrel likes what it likes, and yours has its own particular wants and needs.
bj139 Wrote:I just tried to cycle the dummy rounds through the BCA and the bullet stuck in the lands. It was pulled from the case on ejection. I had to knock it free with a cleaning rod. The 85g bullets are fatter near the nose than the Wolf steel 100g bullet. I guess the SAAMI chamber is tight.
This particular bullet likes to be seated short; partly because of the large meplat and partly because of the length of the bullet. Mine are seated at 2.210", and shoot groups at or under 1/2 MOA. If you seated longer than 2.240" (Hodgdon's recommended seating depth for the 85 Sierra HP), I suspect you're going to stuff it into the compound throat or lands.
IIRC, seating that bullet any longer would leave less than a caliber's worth of bullet seated inside the neck. (This is something I try to avoid with all projectiles - especially those with boat-tails - because it doesn't leave enough bullet shank in contact with the case mouth.)
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

