LRRPF52, I agree in every regard.
I took a 846 lbs bull moose last year with a 260 Rem at 200 yards with a 143gr cup and core bullet through the vitals and it was overkill to say the least. Full pass, putting a large hole through the heart with a fist sized exit.
My sister took her moose 3 years ago with a 6mm Rem at 270 yards with a 80gr TTSX. Cow took a couple steps than flipped over.
There was a family of hunters with two moose permits we had to use our blue lacey to track due to poor shot placement wounds. The family gun was a savage 10 chambered in 300 WSM using 180gr Sierra pro hunters. Neither achieved a full pass, and both moose ran 300 yards in the woods before expiring.
Seeing what I've seen, I would have absolutely no hesitation using a 6.5 Grendel 400 yards and in with the appropriate bullet. It's so easy to put the shot in the boiler room with such a manageable cartridge. If you look at my posts from last fall, I was actually waiting for my Grendel barrel to come before my moose hunt, because that was going to be my rifle of choice.. Didn't show till after deer season, so I was stuck lugging around my 16 lbs target gun all season...lol
Really looking forward to this fall=)
I took a 846 lbs bull moose last year with a 260 Rem at 200 yards with a 143gr cup and core bullet through the vitals and it was overkill to say the least. Full pass, putting a large hole through the heart with a fist sized exit.
My sister took her moose 3 years ago with a 6mm Rem at 270 yards with a 80gr TTSX. Cow took a couple steps than flipped over.
There was a family of hunters with two moose permits we had to use our blue lacey to track due to poor shot placement wounds. The family gun was a savage 10 chambered in 300 WSM using 180gr Sierra pro hunters. Neither achieved a full pass, and both moose ran 300 yards in the woods before expiring.
Seeing what I've seen, I would have absolutely no hesitation using a 6.5 Grendel 400 yards and in with the appropriate bullet. It's so easy to put the shot in the boiler room with such a manageable cartridge. If you look at my posts from last fall, I was actually waiting for my Grendel barrel to come before my moose hunt, because that was going to be my rifle of choice.. Didn't show till after deer season, so I was stuck lugging around my 16 lbs target gun all season...lol
Really looking forward to this fall=)

