Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Need Help selecting a barrel...............
#54
VASCAR2 Wrote:I have the J&T Distributing 16" 6.5 Grendel HBar barrel with Phantom flash hider. I'm using a standard military CAR hand guard. I bought my J&T as a complete flat top upper back in 2009. The 16" 6.5 Grendel barrel has as much potential accuracy as the 20". The biggest difference is the 20" will produce about 80 FPS more velocity than a 16" 6.5 Grendel.

I shot my 16" 6.5 Grendel J&T Saturday, had a round 6" steel plate a 200 yards, a 12" round plate at 300 yards a reduced size steel silhouette at 400 and 500 yards. The winds was between 8 and 12 MPH and after putting my dope on my scope I hit every target every time but once. Once at 500 yards I held higher on the head and shot over the top of the target. Had I just used the same hold I wouldn't have missed. I have used this barrel to shoot at 600 yards a few times but for shooting 800 yards I'm at the top end of my elevation adjustment.

For having a non free floated barrel on a 16" 6.5 Grendel I have been impressed. I was shooting at 450' ASL and if your going to shoot past 700 yards closer to sea level I'd recommend a 20 MOA mount. The 1:9 twist barrel is a non issue for me as I don't plan on shooting bullets heavier than 125 grains. A 1:8 twist barrel might be desireable but with my J&T I have shot several hundred 85, 90, 95, 100 and 107 grain bullets. I have gained acceptable accuracy with everything I have shot in this barrel. Rack grade barrels are luck of the draw. I got lucky and got a very good barrel.


Thanks for this post much appreciated! Would the non-chrome lined version aid in a little better accuracy then the chromed line version or is this a mute point? I noticed the 16" version is a carbine gas system & the 20" is a rifle length, what buffer would you use with the 16" carbine HBar?
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Need Help selecting a barrel............... - by Christopher67 - 05-11-2017, 03:17 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)