05-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Always lap!!!
My first build was a 30-06 built on an old Mauser action. I was under the guidance of a group of retired machinists from the Navy that had set up a gunsmithing shop as a hobby and were always glad to have an enthusiastic apprentice around.
They taught me how to fit a barrel to the action and once I thought I was done, I was asked to disassemble it, including the bolt parts. Next step was to spend quite a few hours applying valve grinding compound to the lugs after painting them with Prussian blue, back and forth until the lugs in the bolt matched the lugs in the action to perfection. Once everything was perfectly clean, I assembled it back again and checked for headspace once more. It ended up being a nice shooter. I still have that rifle.
My first build was a 30-06 built on an old Mauser action. I was under the guidance of a group of retired machinists from the Navy that had set up a gunsmithing shop as a hobby and were always glad to have an enthusiastic apprentice around.
They taught me how to fit a barrel to the action and once I thought I was done, I was asked to disassemble it, including the bolt parts. Next step was to spend quite a few hours applying valve grinding compound to the lugs after painting them with Prussian blue, back and forth until the lugs in the bolt matched the lugs in the action to perfection. Once everything was perfectly clean, I assembled it back again and checked for headspace once more. It ended up being a nice shooter. I still have that rifle.

