US Army Considers Adopting an Interim Battle Rifle in 7.62NATO: eventually adopt 6.5
JASmith Wrote:Facts not in evidence
.
Or, are we resorting to. mind reading and other magic?
I don't know what "we" are resorting to, but I'm just calling it the way I see it.
John's original comment (post#63):
BluntForceTrauma Wrote:Devil's Advocate question: Does your analysis also argue against the necessity of 7.62 NATO in a medium machine gun? Side-by-side, what does a 762N MMG in a mount do in a beaten zone at 800m, for example, that a theoretical 65G LMG in the same mount at the same range with a 123gr VLD FMJ doesn't do? (Here I am assuming very similar external ballistics to M80.)
My response (post #66):
stanc Wrote:1. Beaten zone is not the only performance criteria for machine guns.
2. A VLD shape may not be a viable configuration for a military bullet.
3. The lead-core FMJ is being superseded by the lead-free EPR design.

An EPR projectile for 6.5 Grendel seems likely to be significantly lighter than 123 grains, which will affect trajectory, wind drift, effective range, beaten zone, and terminal effects to an unknown degree. (The 125gr EPR bullet developed for 6.5 CT ammo has a very long base, which would reduce powder capacity if loaded into the 6.5 Grendel case, adversely affecting muzzle velocity.)
John's reply (post#68):
BluntForceTrauma Wrote:Just a side note to editorialize a bit: In a real shooting war with a real enemy — Iran, North Korea, China (God forbid) — with the grown-ups in charge for once, the ban on lead ammunition will take a back seat to actually devoting resources to winning the damn war, rather than appeasing politically-correct sensibilities.

Taking WWII as an example, these people have no idea what is involved in total war. With copper how many times the price of lead, protecting landfills will probably be low on the list of priorities. But if we'd rather "save the whales" than save the country, well, I guess that's a choice some people make. . . .

While John only quoted my point 3 in his reply, since the lead-free M855A1 outperforms lead-core M855, and because the side discussion was about 6.5 Grendel ammo for machine guns, I took his remarks to be aimed at the apparent weight limitation imposed on 6.5 Grendel military bullets due to the ban on lead.

JASmith Wrote:The baiting is becoming tedious.
The only person doing any tedious baiting here is you, with your repeated accusations.

I would never intentionally bait John. If I was wrong in my conclusion about his post, it was an honest mistake.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
US Army Considers Adopting an Interim Battle Rifle in 7.62NATO: eventually adopt 6.5 - by stanc - 04-30-2017, 06:30 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)