04-23-2017, 09:06 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2017, 08:50 PM by Cali-Coon-ass.)
Hi. I'm in Norcal also. Same conundrum, though I will admit to what was said earlier regarding us all eating lead for so many years in our venison. AGH! So I too have begun the process of working up loads. Before I found this posting, I tested (on paper and steel gongs) the bullet sample packs and found some TTSX. I got great groups, sub MOA, and my plate is at 360 yds. I can consistantly hit that standing off-hand. Better groups if I sand bag it. Then I read about the E-tips. I easily worked up a load in my .308 SCAR17 that is almost sniper/match grade. Took my first Russian Boar last year from 150 yards, standing off hand, at a run. That E-Tip really made a mess of BOTH hams! I didn't lead the running pig enough, but it went down anyway, though it charged me when I got close, and not very well either. Second round through the head ended that. I felt bad for not being a good enough shot at 150 yards, and worse, taking the shot on a running pig, but we had been out there for days and this was the only thing we had a shot at so I took it. I got the freezer full, and no lead in the meat! Thanks for nuthin' Jerry Brown...
Moving on, I have been trying to develop a load for my 24" AA Grrr. It took me 18 months to even get them as Nosler kept pushin' back the manufacturing dates. Then, once I got the email that Midway had them, they were gone already! I did manage to find 9 boxes, and will have gone through 2 by tomorrow afternoon. I have NOT been able to get a sub MOA grouping yet. Frustrated! That gun shoots AMAXs all in the same hole as well as SMKs. I have tried IMR 8208 XBR, and CFE223. I haven't played with the COAL yet, other than loading it to maximum length the first few batches, and reducing it to 2.170 because that's what I came up with @ .020 behind the lands from doing a shade tree measurement of where the bullet touches the lands. Before it got dark today, I got one 3 shot group at .83". I will try to replicate this tomorrow and also continue to ladder the loads till I find the most consistent load, then start trying to adjust the COAL, however, do any of you guys have any "tried and true" E-Tip loads? Tips? Recommendations?
Thanks to Rick and Sneaky and BFT for all the info and labor getting it, and thanks to Cavity and the rest of the manufacturers for having our back on this. It can't be bad that we are not eating the lead, and so it goes for the eaters of carrion as well, so the environmentalists get a free ride on this one. Perhaps our work will influence and help the rest of the hunting world, if nothing else, for that devastation these LFPs do, and the fact we aren't eating lead!
Moving on, I have been trying to develop a load for my 24" AA Grrr. It took me 18 months to even get them as Nosler kept pushin' back the manufacturing dates. Then, once I got the email that Midway had them, they were gone already! I did manage to find 9 boxes, and will have gone through 2 by tomorrow afternoon. I have NOT been able to get a sub MOA grouping yet. Frustrated! That gun shoots AMAXs all in the same hole as well as SMKs. I have tried IMR 8208 XBR, and CFE223. I haven't played with the COAL yet, other than loading it to maximum length the first few batches, and reducing it to 2.170 because that's what I came up with @ .020 behind the lands from doing a shade tree measurement of where the bullet touches the lands. Before it got dark today, I got one 3 shot group at .83". I will try to replicate this tomorrow and also continue to ladder the loads till I find the most consistent load, then start trying to adjust the COAL, however, do any of you guys have any "tried and true" E-Tip loads? Tips? Recommendations?
Thanks to Rick and Sneaky and BFT for all the info and labor getting it, and thanks to Cavity and the rest of the manufacturers for having our back on this. It can't be bad that we are not eating the lead, and so it goes for the eaters of carrion as well, so the environmentalists get a free ride on this one. Perhaps our work will influence and help the rest of the hunting world, if nothing else, for that devastation these LFPs do, and the fact we aren't eating lead!

