11-20-2011, 03:19 AM
SMM123 Wrote:Thanks. With plenty of daylight, I have been going through it. Everything about the upper seems to be perfectly fine. The 5.56 marked Double Star lower is where most of the issues seem to be. The lower is what is causing the wobble and where there are marks in the vicinity of the various pins. I dropped the upper on several of my other brand lowers and the wobble goes away.
Maybe I am wrong, but I would not expect a MFG to send out a 6.5 upper on a 5.56 marked lower. At any rate, other than the wobble and simple cosmetic stuff, the rifle seems perfectly fine. I guess I just did not expect to see DSC making Grendels, and so assumed it was a private build.
My bet is it was a "kit" assembled on a DSC stripped lower. Most were sold as 5.56, and were one of the first decent quality lowers in the $100 range just before the run-up. Especially if the lower shows signs of amateur assembly. If it was a DSC built complete rifle it would have had different labeling, as they used a different name for their assembled rifles. (Don't know about the roll-mark).
At the minimum they would have used on marked multi-caliber.
On the "wobble". unless the holes are wallowed out it's likely just a spec receiver. People forget that colts & FN's "wobble" after being shot a bit. Many mfg's have silently tightened that up, but are out of GI spec now.
I used to buy into the tight lower bit, using billet with the built in adjustment for receiver slack. Depending on who you believe the accuwedges may not make as much difference than people think. I'm sure we'd have many different opinions even on the forum here.

