03-25-2017, 07:46 PM
llamaboy Wrote:If annealing is bad, then why does Lapua anneal at the factory? The brass is not so hot that I cannot take it out of the socket with my bare hands, and quench it. Go to 7mm Valkyrie on facebook for more questions and answers.
LB:
I wouldn't buy brass that hadn't been annealed at the factory. It doesn't need any more annealing is what I am saying. When guys start to mess with perfect brass (Lapua), they normally end up ruining the brass.
You annealed it three times too many. The first two times weakened the brass but the brass was able to overcome the damage. The last time you pushed something over the edge and the brass no longer sizes down properly.
I have annealed cases but it was because the change was radical. Making 577 / 500 cases out of 577 basic brass is an example. That is a mammoth change in dimensions and without annealing I would have folded the shoulders and necks. The 577 basic brass was also very thin compared to more modern cartridges.
I simply never had a problem necking down or up a size with even the thicker brass like Lake City. If it works with your 7mm without having to anneal, why not go for it?
LR55
