04-03-2011, 12:54 PM
First of all, hello, new to forum and posting in general. With that said if I offend or step on toes...it's due to ignorance. A quick background....served in the Army for the last ten years, recently separated, purchased a GPU from a custom builder. I have been shooting this rifle frequently, more than i probabaly should, but now that Hornady is making rounds, things are a lot more affordable for me. Without the clever use of high tech machinery, I am assuming that the barrel is now tuned. I have not noticed any shift in in POA/POI. I do not bench rest, I shoot iron sights from 25-500m. These ranges are familiar and comfortable to me, but outside of punching paper on the range, this weapon is formidable on the local white tail population, and bags elk no problem. After years of 5.56 and 7.62 it is a breath of fresh air to fire a high quality round for a change. We can quote numbers from magazines and manufacturers all day and it would be the blind leading the blind. Just about every post I have read in this forum has been people trying to convince other people who is more intelligent by quoting the best rendition of BC etc. I submit ( esp to new shooters and people new to the AR platform) that the majority of advice found on here is subjective. Use common sense, acquire the same sight picture, and as Bill A said they fly down range on their own. For all you zombie fighters and SHTF people might I suggest that you find a weapon system that you are comfortable with. Everything else is just talking. Someone can tell you how awesome the rig is and not be able to shoot well at all. At close range you can kill medium game with a .22, shot placement is your friend esp when fighting hordes of zombie deer. But enough fun, I chose the piston system because of the extreme reliability over DI rifles. I enjoy the fact that the bolt and carrier stay cool to the touch after many rounds have passed through. Clean up is easy...just a couple passes with a bore snake and everything is tits. I have plenty of real world experience in tactical shooting and for my money I rely on this platform and cartridge without hesitation. By the way for those interested, I'm not very good at Grendel trivia, so pls dont try, I can however hit what I aim at, and will go on record as saying that is a good thing.
