Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
odin works 20" vs Brownell 18" barrell
#10
mdewitt71 Wrote:Is that all the 18" 6.5 Grendel builds you have seen or just the Brownell 18" barrels?
I ask as I have build .223 Wylde and 5.56 18 inch rifles in the past with no issues but, am new to the Grendel.

I've tested and built many Grendels with 18" barrels from:

AA (have 2 sitting in my shop right now)
Lilja (lost count on how many Lilja 18" I've done, and own one)
Satern (have one sitting in the shop right now, cut rifled fluted, .094" port, requires PRI adjustable gas block and rifle buffer 5.2oz)
Underground Tactical (could never get this one to work, even with adjustable gas and different buffers, .094" port)

I've also had a bit of experience with 18" .223 Wylde barrels from WOA, CLE, High Caliber Sales, JP, Krieger, Wilson, and BCM.

I think I've seen more 18" Grendel barrels in person than the other lengths, with 20" being the next most popular, then a mix of 16", 24", and 22". A lot of the initial Lilja group buy were 18" pipes.

The correct gas port diameter for a 6.5 Grendel 18" with MLGS is .076", otherwise if you go too large, you allow too much volume at a higher pressure than RLGS to flow into the gas tube and carrier, which cycles the action too soon when the case is still obturated in the chamber.

With a .076" port, everything behaves well. For the life of me, I don't know why anyone would put a .094" port on an 18" MLGS. It requires several band-aids to try to tame that cyclic rate back down, usually a combo of adjustable gas and heavy buffering.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply


Messages In This Thread
odin works 20" vs Brownell 18" barrell - by Retro - 01-13-2017, 04:15 AM
odin works 20" vs Brownell 18" barrell - by LRRPF52 - 01-13-2017, 10:22 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)