12-28-2016, 11:08 PM
terrywick4 Wrote:I disagree! the adjustable gas does have a big effect on felt recoil. If after a shot the bolt only goes back far enough to cycle the gun instead of slamming all the way back then the buffer spring takes energy out of the recoil. I definitely felt the difference when I went from straight gas to adjusted.
Yes, I see what you are saying so please ignore my last post.
I've been trying to reconcile what you are saying with Newton's Second (Force=MA) and Third Law of physics (action = reaction). If you send a bolt carrier group with speed back to the firer then the firer needs to 'push back' in order that the recoil spring can absorb and temporarily store that energy. If it comes back with less speed due to gas regulation then less 'push-back' (felt recoil) is needed - You are right.
This is in isolation of any muzzle brake you might have on at the time. If you did have a muzzle brake then by regulating the gas at the port this means more gas goes out the muzzle so the force on the brake pushing the gun forward is higher than in a non-gas regulated system. I'm thinking that gas regulation with a brake helps tame (felt) recoil in two ways; less bolt momentum to oppose, and more pressure on the brake pushing the gun forward.
Does that make sense?

