Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build?
#19
I went with the piston for much the same reasons - easy to clean and reliable if it has to run dirty (SHTF scenario). I used to own a FAL and frequented their forum and was amazed at the Tale of Ol' Dirty - a lengthy thread by a FAL owner who purposely ran thousands of rounds with not only with no cleaning (aside from assuring a safe bore), but sometimes submerging the rifle in whatever form of mud happened to be handy. And it just ran and ran and ran.

As for accuracy, I haven't pushed out beyond 100 yards yet (range limitation where I shoot) but at that distance my Precision Arms rifle with an Adams piston can cloverleaf fairly regularly. The biggest wildcard in accuracy is definitely me.

The primary advantage I see in DI is weight and cost. And that has some merit and appeal to me, I may yet pick up a DI Grendel. I might even like it better (except for the cleaning part).

But when I hear people say "DI works, why change it?" I sometimes feel it should be said "Gas pistons are clean, rugged, reliable and still accurate, why change it?"

If I bought the argument that I should go DI just because Stoner did, I would still be using a telephone with a cord.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by HuXXXford - 03-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by rkflorey - 03-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Schwag173 - 03-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by txgunner00 - 03-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by montana - 03-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by HuXXXford - 03-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by noone - 03-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by rasp65 - 03-10-2012, 03:01 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by usmc1371 - 03-10-2012, 03:08 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by dwalters66 - 12-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Mike Wood - 12-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by ahillock - 12-15-2016, 08:15 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Mike Wood - 12-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Grendel - 12-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Grendel - 12-15-2016, 10:54 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by rabiddawg - 12-16-2016, 12:26 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Mike Wood - 12-16-2016, 12:28 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by LRRPF52 - 12-16-2016, 03:41 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Capt. Morgan - 12-17-2016, 12:37 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Mike Wood - 12-17-2016, 02:58 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by LRRPF52 - 12-17-2016, 03:07 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by ahillock - 12-17-2016, 03:35 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by LRRPF52 - 12-17-2016, 03:40 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Klem - 12-17-2016, 08:57 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by ahillock - 12-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Mike Wood - 12-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Slappy - 12-17-2016, 11:50 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by ahillock - 12-18-2016, 03:22 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by sneaky one - 12-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Klem - 12-18-2016, 11:55 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by chaps - 06-10-2017, 06:39 AM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by jkingrph - 06-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by Steamburn - 06-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Piston or DI for a Grendel Build? - by ah1whiskey - 06-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)