12-04-2016, 05:32 AM
Kilco Wrote:That's damn fine grouping for any rifle at that price point. I've had years of success with the AMAX bullet. Taken a few whitetail with the 105 AMAX in a 243 win, and a moose at 300 yards 6 years ago with a 168 AMAX.
I'm now using the 143 ELD-X exclusively, and if this season is any kind of indication, could be the best hunting bullet I've ever used.
Only time I've seen issues is when guys push them REALLY fast out of magnum cartridges. My brother uses a 6.5-257 Weatherby, and he had two instances with the 140 AMAX going 3350 fps not making it to the vitals, literally blowing up a few inches after impact.
You've peaked my curiosity now. I might pick up a couple boxes of the 143 ELD-X and see what kind of loads I can work up for my CZ 550 and Tikka T3x both in 6.5 x 55. I'm sitting here scratching my chin ... wondering if either Norma MRP or RL22 would be the best powder for the job!?! A good slow powder .... with me seating them out to 3.125"

