10-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Several techniques exist for optimizing one's OAL. Here is what I use:
I normally run the powder charge weight optimization after I am happy with the OAL.
- Start out by finding the OAL where your ogive first touches the lands.
- Then, back off by the Barnes recommended amount.
- Do an OAL ladder using a slightly reduced from max load. Run the OAL in increments of .005" to .010" from that recommended .050" down to touch to determine the most accurate OAL. The reduced load is suggested because getting close to or actually touching the lands causes an increase in pressure of a few thousand psi.
- Repeat with five five-shot groups with OALs .006", .003', 0.00', -.003' and -.006" from your best OAL in the first pass.
I normally run the powder charge weight optimization after I am happy with the OAL.
shootersnotes.com
"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown
"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown
"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

