10-17-2016, 05:27 AM
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2016, 05:33 AM by CrisAnderson27.)
So, I got back out to the range today. I spent some time reading around last night, and it made me realize that the bolt may not have been short cycling at all...but could have actually been passing over the magazine before the follower caught up. I also remembered that I'd skipped from 1 turn out on the gas block, to 3 turns...because I didn't want the bolt to lock up again. So I closed the adjuster, and turned it out two full turns. Gun cycled, and ejected the spent casing, but didn't lock the bolt. I turned the adjuster 1/4 turn in (1.75 turns out), and tried again, same result. Another 1/4 turn in, same result. Next 1/4 turn in (1.25 turns out), and it locked the bolt again, forcing me to pry it open a bit before I could cycle it with the charging handle. Another full turn out, and things went back to normal. After that, I figured I'd see if it would strip the rounds from the mag again. It did...mostly reliably, too. The only issue I was running into was a FTF from the bolt stripping the round and slamming it into the extension below the ramps. Out of almost 50 rounds fired today, it did that four times. Total number of rounds through the gun is right at 80...and I think breaking things in is helping too. The bolt cycles cleanly now (before it felt almost 'gritty' when cycled manually, for want of a better word), which certainly can't be hurting things. I do think I'm going to need to try an H2 buffer to help with the timing...as I'm 90% certain it's not short cycling. This would let me run right at about two turns out without any issues.
Anyway, here's some video of the last rounds I fired of the afternoon. In general, the video makes me think it's over cycling almost for sure, but the second malfunction makes me wonder. The first FTF was the round butting up just below the feed ramp as I mentioned above. The second time, it didn't fully go into battery, so I cleared it (the live round surprised me a bit...you can see it in the video) thinking it was a FTE. Also, please excuse my poor form. I was shooting at one of those square Cabela's self healing 'Ground Pounder' targets (love those, I have something similar for archery), and was shooting rather quickly on purpose, both to try to get on target quickly, and to try to work the gun a bit. Also, I'm still not used to the form factor of the pistol, and shooting something like this unshouldered makes me try to adapt my body positioning in weird ways!
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCeGXQOB9nc[/video]
Oddly enough, when I loaded that live round into the magazine and fired it, it locked the bolt back. Go figure!
Also, here's some video of what I was shooting at:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYhnIlrLLY[/video]
Anyway, if you all see anything in the video that gives you any ideas...please let me know. I'm going to order an H2 buffer this week (if non one I know locally has one to let me borrow). Once that's done, I'll let you all know how it goes
.
Anyway, here's some video of the last rounds I fired of the afternoon. In general, the video makes me think it's over cycling almost for sure, but the second malfunction makes me wonder. The first FTF was the round butting up just below the feed ramp as I mentioned above. The second time, it didn't fully go into battery, so I cleared it (the live round surprised me a bit...you can see it in the video) thinking it was a FTE. Also, please excuse my poor form. I was shooting at one of those square Cabela's self healing 'Ground Pounder' targets (love those, I have something similar for archery), and was shooting rather quickly on purpose, both to try to get on target quickly, and to try to work the gun a bit. Also, I'm still not used to the form factor of the pistol, and shooting something like this unshouldered makes me try to adapt my body positioning in weird ways!
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCeGXQOB9nc[/video]
Oddly enough, when I loaded that live round into the magazine and fired it, it locked the bolt back. Go figure!
Also, here's some video of what I was shooting at:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYhnIlrLLY[/video]
Anyway, if you all see anything in the video that gives you any ideas...please let me know. I'm going to order an H2 buffer this week (if non one I know locally has one to let me borrow). Once that's done, I'll let you all know how it goes
.

