Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
hunting build
#16
rabid,

Last year was my first year to hunt deer with an FFP scope (Khales 624i - more about last year later). I actually didn't notice much difference in a hunting scenario because I basically set the magnification on 12x and left it - even for the 40 yard shot I took on one of my doe (I just chose the one hair that I wanted to hit... LOL!). The illumination on the Khales is really good. As it got darker I could dial the amount of light down enough to eliminate the "halo" effect and I was left with a clean reticle that wasn't distracting at all.

I have shot a bunch of pigs with my .556 AR with a Vortex Razor 1-4X which was FFP as well and REALLY liked it. The difference with the lower power FFP scopes is that when you crank a 1-4x down to 1x the reticle is so small that you can use it with the illumination like a red dot.

Back to hunting last year... I was running my competition based AR-308 last year and found that it was really cumbersome in a 4x4 box blind. That is what prompted me to build the Grendel. Shorter AR based package with a good round especially for my shots. However, before I completed the Grendel I switched my competition rifle back to a bolt gun and ended up with a Desert Tech SRS A1 in 6.5x47 Lapua. So, now comes the fight on which one to use in a blind. The 26" barreled DT is actually shorter than the 18" Grendel by a couple inches and I have a load now using the Hornady 140 SST that shoots around 1/2 MOA. Grrr... I may need to flip a coin.

Here is a shot from the blind last year with the .308:

[Image: 12269080_1054945897872344_1266762590_o.j...e=58017C09]
Reply


Messages In This Thread
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 01:34 AM
hunting build - by Redomen - 10-12-2016, 01:53 AM
hunting build - by diddlyv - 10-12-2016, 03:30 AM
hunting build - by keystone183 - 10-12-2016, 12:29 PM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-12-2016, 01:19 PM
hunting build - by Flyguy11 - 10-12-2016, 02:13 PM
hunting build - by Flyguy11 - 10-12-2016, 02:34 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 04:32 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 04:42 PM
hunting build - by wraith1516 - 10-12-2016, 04:52 PM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-12-2016, 05:07 PM
hunting build - by diddlyv - 10-12-2016, 05:39 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 11:29 PM
hunting build - by rabiddawg - 10-13-2016, 01:33 AM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-13-2016, 03:18 PM
hunting build - by rabiddawg - 10-13-2016, 03:50 PM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-13-2016, 05:09 PM
hunting build - by Flyguy11 - 10-13-2016, 05:14 PM
hunting build - by keystone183 - 10-13-2016, 06:35 PM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-13-2016, 06:52 PM
hunting build - by rabiddawg - 10-13-2016, 09:40 PM
hunting build - by Kswhitetails - 10-23-2016, 09:56 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 12-15-2016, 04:23 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)