Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
hunting build
#12
pathfinder397 Wrote:I just lost my hunting land of 15 years so I am building this as a 75- 300 yard weapon and I will find land/animals to fit that situation. My unofficial moto is now, "have Grendel, will travel!" I am just leaving the world of rifled shotgun slugs and shots on whitetail ranging from 30 yards full sprint to 100+ in brush. I was very proud to have executed all of my shots with iron sites (true glow) or a 2x red dot.

I have experience with vortex scopes and have a 3x9 diamondback. I am having a lot of fun with their BDC threw the website and app. So I will most likely be going that route.

That sucks to lose your hunting land. I understand your shotgun to rifle transition... I did it 20 years ago when I moved away from Upstate NY where all my deer were taken with a pump-action Smith & Wesson 916A with irons. Heck, there are a few tight spots on my current lease here in Texas that are thick and in a ravine that I sometimes still grab that old 12-ga and sit in a ground blind.

There is nothing wrong with Vortex at all if you have been happy with them; I have a couple as well (a Diamondback like yours on a loaner .243 and a Razor 1-4X on my go to AR-556). 3-9x is a good usable/huntable set up for your ranges. If you get the desire to spend a little money; the newer scopes with First Focal Plane can really help you out with drops and the pricing has come way down from just a couple years ago. There are offerings from Athlon (the new kid on the block), Vortex PST and Sig; or at least those are the ones that I considered form my hunting rig.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 01:34 AM
hunting build - by Redomen - 10-12-2016, 01:53 AM
hunting build - by diddlyv - 10-12-2016, 03:30 AM
hunting build - by keystone183 - 10-12-2016, 12:29 PM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-12-2016, 01:19 PM
hunting build - by Flyguy11 - 10-12-2016, 02:13 PM
hunting build - by Flyguy11 - 10-12-2016, 02:34 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 04:32 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 04:42 PM
hunting build - by wraith1516 - 10-12-2016, 04:52 PM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-12-2016, 05:07 PM
hunting build - by diddlyv - 10-12-2016, 05:39 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 10-12-2016, 11:29 PM
hunting build - by rabiddawg - 10-13-2016, 01:33 AM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-13-2016, 03:18 PM
hunting build - by rabiddawg - 10-13-2016, 03:50 PM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-13-2016, 05:09 PM
hunting build - by Flyguy11 - 10-13-2016, 05:14 PM
hunting build - by keystone183 - 10-13-2016, 06:35 PM
hunting build - by RicosRevenge - 10-13-2016, 06:52 PM
hunting build - by rabiddawg - 10-13-2016, 09:40 PM
hunting build - by Kswhitetails - 10-23-2016, 09:56 PM
hunting build - by pathfinder397 - 12-15-2016, 04:23 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)