03-31-2011, 11:52 PM
Gopher on deer size critters "ethical kills shots out to 800" and any cartridge in an AR-15 platform is a contradiction. The ability to make a good hit at that distance aside, even the fastest 6/6.5mm pills in an AR-15 are lacking in velocity for dependable bullet performance and retained energy at that distance. 400 Yards is pushing it for deer with the Grendel. The accuracy may be there but there is simply not enough bullet weight or velocity to constantly get the job done. Find a ballistic calculator and figure out how far you can carry ~2,000 FPS with a 100/120 grain pill and thats about your max performance range. For my Grendel thats less than 400 yards... and I'm pushing em fast. I'm barely over 1,800 FPS A 500 yards. I love my Grendel and hunt deer & antelope with it but compared to the 30/06, 7mm Rem mag class of cartridges the Grendel is an anemic round. The 6.5 WSSM in the AR-15 platform would give you a step up in performance on game but still falls short or your goal.
John
John
