10-28-2011, 12:47 AM
First I decided what I wanted to accomplish with my stick. I wanted a sub MOA rifle that could reach out there. Not sure the practicality of my decision other than that's what I wanted.
Then when I built my rifle I set up an excel spreadsheet with a column for needed parts, a column for model of the needed parts, prices for each part and finally the supplier/store for each part. I researched for about 12 months on my Grendel build (that's alot of time and probably a little excessive) before I bought anything. The benefit to the long research phase was that as soon as I decided I was sure about a component, I found a different option that was better (in my mind). A TON of changes to my list before I started the purchases. Most important components (quality-wise in my opinion) are the barrel, bolt and lower parts kit (specifically the trigger group).
I used several "do it yourself" tutorials from various sources (AR15.COM, the old grendel forum, snipers hide, youtube, etc.) and pretty much followed the steps one-by-one. Like it was said earlier, a monkey could do it after watching another do it right and I'm living proof! There is a wealth of knowledge out there, some sources like this forum are friendly and others are better for reading than asking questions.
The whole process is fun and rewarding. The main benefit of a personal build is not paying for a complete upper and then having to pay for upgrade parts.
Good luck.
Then when I built my rifle I set up an excel spreadsheet with a column for needed parts, a column for model of the needed parts, prices for each part and finally the supplier/store for each part. I researched for about 12 months on my Grendel build (that's alot of time and probably a little excessive) before I bought anything. The benefit to the long research phase was that as soon as I decided I was sure about a component, I found a different option that was better (in my mind). A TON of changes to my list before I started the purchases. Most important components (quality-wise in my opinion) are the barrel, bolt and lower parts kit (specifically the trigger group).
I used several "do it yourself" tutorials from various sources (AR15.COM, the old grendel forum, snipers hide, youtube, etc.) and pretty much followed the steps one-by-one. Like it was said earlier, a monkey could do it after watching another do it right and I'm living proof! There is a wealth of knowledge out there, some sources like this forum are friendly and others are better for reading than asking questions.
The whole process is fun and rewarding. The main benefit of a personal build is not paying for a complete upper and then having to pay for upgrade parts.
Good luck.
