03-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Hello Gents, 1st post, been reading for quite some time.
Preface:
preparing to embark on my 1st Grendel build, I have a handful of self-built AR-15's in 5.56 and 300BLK, I also have 18" LR308 which i consider my overwatch gun, at approx. 11 pounds, it is OK in the field, but not pleasant. the mission of service of the grendel will be, to obtain, or aspire to the precision and effective range of the LR308 in the package of the AR15 for a truly effective and accurate field gun. will typically be shot from a bi-pod, from a truck hood, or prone, with some hunting/off-hand shooting as well, ideally in the 7-8 pound range. will not be a bench gun.
moving on....
So knowing that a barrels is truly the heart of an accuracy based platform, i've been reading and reading, of Kriegers, Bartleins, Lilja's, Saterns, Criterions and the rest of the gamut of options and opinions. lots of reading to be had out there, but much of it is several years old and I am wondering if the environment has changed.
i've settled on either 16" or 18", with a Grendel SAAMI chamber utilizing the true .136 bolt face, I would like it to be cut rifled, but may have to accept a 5R button rifled barrel if finances dictate, Budget for the barrel, realistically would be about 400$.
my current number 1 prospect, is a criterion barrel chambered by PF.
also considering:
Alexander Arms 16" fluted lightweight - reviews seem generally positive, not a ton of information out there.
16" Satern from brownells. - these barrels in particular along with the midway offerings seem to have been on a roller coaster ride, chamber issues, unknown MFG, but are now markedly satern barrels, wondering if anyone has one that is a more recent offering that can offer a review?
thanks for any input, this forum has been a learning experience and I appreciate everyone's contribution.
Preface:
preparing to embark on my 1st Grendel build, I have a handful of self-built AR-15's in 5.56 and 300BLK, I also have 18" LR308 which i consider my overwatch gun, at approx. 11 pounds, it is OK in the field, but not pleasant. the mission of service of the grendel will be, to obtain, or aspire to the precision and effective range of the LR308 in the package of the AR15 for a truly effective and accurate field gun. will typically be shot from a bi-pod, from a truck hood, or prone, with some hunting/off-hand shooting as well, ideally in the 7-8 pound range. will not be a bench gun.
moving on....
So knowing that a barrels is truly the heart of an accuracy based platform, i've been reading and reading, of Kriegers, Bartleins, Lilja's, Saterns, Criterions and the rest of the gamut of options and opinions. lots of reading to be had out there, but much of it is several years old and I am wondering if the environment has changed.
i've settled on either 16" or 18", with a Grendel SAAMI chamber utilizing the true .136 bolt face, I would like it to be cut rifled, but may have to accept a 5R button rifled barrel if finances dictate, Budget for the barrel, realistically would be about 400$.
my current number 1 prospect, is a criterion barrel chambered by PF.
also considering:
Alexander Arms 16" fluted lightweight - reviews seem generally positive, not a ton of information out there.
16" Satern from brownells. - these barrels in particular along with the midway offerings seem to have been on a roller coaster ride, chamber issues, unknown MFG, but are now markedly satern barrels, wondering if anyone has one that is a more recent offering that can offer a review?
thanks for any input, this forum has been a learning experience and I appreciate everyone's contribution.

