02-16-2016, 09:34 PM
McFireFighter Wrote:I only picked up 100 Hornady brass. Will make the switch to Lapua next purchase.
Receiver has been lapped and it definitely had a high spot. Going to hit it one more time this evening. I will be beading the barrel. Accu wedge will snug up the upper and lower. I have used the 140 A-Max in 260 and 6.5-284. It's a capable design.
2550fps sound possible out of the 20" Shilen 1:9 twist barrel with the 123's? I'd be happy in that ballpark if I'm there with the accuracy others are claiming.
Thanks!
Welcome aboard. 2550fps is pretty typical of 20" guns with 123gr. 123gr AMAX or SST have been performing very well on white tail for years.
I like both the Hornady and Lapua brass. All mine from both brands have been doing very well. I had my first piece of Lapua brass split a neck after 7 years of working with the Grendel, and I blame that on using Imperial Sizing wax versus spray-on lube like I use now.
I find the Hornady brass to be easier to re-size, as the Lapua is a stronger alloy, so the Lapua will rebound more than Hornady. Make sure to follow good loading principles, with setting up your sizing die for the brass type, not just the caliber.
With CFE under a 123gr, you can reach 2580fps with max load, and with LeveRevolution, you can reach 2600fps with a 20". I would look at accuracy nodes as well of course.
We put together 2 Reloading Handbooks for the 6.5 Grendel that combine many collective years of experience from the forum and authors that will cover your reloading questions and more.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
