02-10-2016, 04:41 AM
LRRPF52 Wrote:I would have agreed with some of the bullet length limitations listed here, but I no longer do. Here are the reasons why I'm at where I'm at now:
1. I have gotten great results with the 129gr Nosler ABLR. It has a length of 1.365". I like loading CFE under it, which produces substantial velocity to handle any of your game needs that I can imagine, even from a 10.5" SBR Grendel.
2. The 127gr Barnes LRX solid with lower expansion threshold is 1.392". We thought for many years that it was too long for the 6.5 Grendel. A guy down in Texas who never got the memo, loaded it for his exotic game hunt down there, and harvested an Oryx with it successfully using his 18" JP 6.5 Grendel.
Many of the 140gr bullets are not even as long as these, so I would look at the individual performance constraints and capabilities of the bullets you are considering, find an optimum powder for them that doesn't have much room to spike pressure on you, and reference available reloading resources.
The 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks will have more loads than you know what to do with, and are a fairly comprehensive set of guides to assist you in this.
Great info ! What would be the first three or four bullets you'd recommend I try for the best accuracy at 1000 yards ? I'm waiting for my 24" bull barrel. And I'm also curious about cutting a notch in the magazine.

