10-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I think you and I pretty much have the save idea for a rifle... You can see in my profile pic that I have a different setup, but the next is going to be almost exactly like you have.
(Mine is a grendel, but this is about the build...)
First off, the barrel. I have an AR Stoner (cheapest/highest rating). I went with a 18" so I can use it for hunting as well as target shooting. It's proved to be excellent. First rounds down the barrel were touching at 100 (Hornady Factory Ammo). The only caution with the AR Stoner is watch the threads if you get threaded. They have a weird thread on it, and only accept their brakes. You can re-thread it, but why??? I went with a 360 degree heli-brake, and I have never shot it without one, but I like it.
For the upper, I don't have an elevation on mine. You can either go with what I have in the picture and get an AR P.E.P.R from Burris and that will raise it up and push it forward for you (very nice and rugged). I have a few sitting around if you want to PM me... However, with my current set up, I traded the scope in the pic for a Vortex PST and used their rings. It's a 50mm bell on it, and sits just mm above the rail (had to cut the scope cover to slip it on...) I like it that way as I have really high cheek bones, so I sit really close to the stock anyway.
You can't go wrong with a PRS, so you are good there.
I have a DPMS lower on mine, absolutely love it. I have a JP adjustable single stage in mine, and I would not do it again. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I would much rather have the Timney drop in trigger. I have heard excellent things about it and would go that direction instead. They have 3lb and 4lb models, and are super consistent and reliable.
I prefer the Hogue overmold grip, as I have big ole monkey paws and don't like the palm rest (got one on my Savage BAS). I don't mind it, but it's not preferred.
I went with Yankee Hill Machine handguards, and they are super light, not expensive, and extremely durable. Easy to install and they have been great for me.
If you want current pics of what I have with details, let me know and I can get some for you. (PM me)
(Mine is a grendel, but this is about the build...)
First off, the barrel. I have an AR Stoner (cheapest/highest rating). I went with a 18" so I can use it for hunting as well as target shooting. It's proved to be excellent. First rounds down the barrel were touching at 100 (Hornady Factory Ammo). The only caution with the AR Stoner is watch the threads if you get threaded. They have a weird thread on it, and only accept their brakes. You can re-thread it, but why??? I went with a 360 degree heli-brake, and I have never shot it without one, but I like it.
For the upper, I don't have an elevation on mine. You can either go with what I have in the picture and get an AR P.E.P.R from Burris and that will raise it up and push it forward for you (very nice and rugged). I have a few sitting around if you want to PM me... However, with my current set up, I traded the scope in the pic for a Vortex PST and used their rings. It's a 50mm bell on it, and sits just mm above the rail (had to cut the scope cover to slip it on...) I like it that way as I have really high cheek bones, so I sit really close to the stock anyway.
You can't go wrong with a PRS, so you are good there.
I have a DPMS lower on mine, absolutely love it. I have a JP adjustable single stage in mine, and I would not do it again. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I would much rather have the Timney drop in trigger. I have heard excellent things about it and would go that direction instead. They have 3lb and 4lb models, and are super consistent and reliable.
I prefer the Hogue overmold grip, as I have big ole monkey paws and don't like the palm rest (got one on my Savage BAS). I don't mind it, but it's not preferred.
I went with Yankee Hill Machine handguards, and they are super light, not expensive, and extremely durable. Easy to install and they have been great for me.
If you want current pics of what I have with details, let me know and I can get some for you. (PM me)
