10-14-2011, 01:44 AM
RangerRick Wrote:Hi Mike,.
Welcome. Can you tell us about your experience with the Grendel in winds out at 600 yards compared to the 308? Any advice?
RR
Most of my practice is not paper punching. We go out on a friends property and do what we call canyon shooting. We use what we would have while out hunting, backpack, bipod, rangefinder and our gun. I figure if I cannot hit a 6" to 12" target in a real hunting situation on the first shot I have no business taking it. The winds are usually always changing in the canyons. They both are pretty close as far as adjustments for the wind but in my experience I think the 308 barely edges out the grendel. I do my paper punching at 100 to 200yrds. I can get as far as 500yrds on paper but never have shot paper with any significant amount of wind. If the wind is more than 10mph I will try to cut the distance or not take the shot. I know this probably doesn't answer your question completely. One thing we have done in the winter months when it is wet(soaked) is shoot tracers with a breeze. It really opened my eyes on how much your bullet moves left and right when shooting across canyons. Not to mention it is cool as hell to watch your round drop/drift onto your target. Here is my disclaimer. DO NOT shoot the tracers when it is dry out.
