ricsmall Wrote:The way I'm interpreting the hypothetical situation, starts something like this: I hear shooting and screaming. I assess the situation from cover if possible, identify perps, then draw weapon and dispatch IF I'm in a situation that makes it possible. I'm not an expert or a veteran or even a novice for that matter. But I've shot enough in my life to be very proficient with all of my firearms and have enough common sense not to draw my sidearm and wave it around, making myself a target. Assess the situation, then react accordingly. Most important is situational awareness, which in this day is very important in any public setting. Maybe I've oversimplified this, but I like the acronym KISS.This and the previous post nicely encapsulate my view of how situational awareness morphs into the actual firefight:
Edit: as for the other ccw's, I hope they think similar to me, and they will realize I shot bad guy or I will realize they shot bad guy. Good question to stimulate thinking, but impossible to answer correctly. Too many variables.
Richard
- Stay out of sight, deploy weapon only when one is pretty sure of situation, use the firearm, and then put it away!
- Continue observation and react accordingly if another bad guy shows.
- Prepare for rather direct action by law enforcement when they enter the scene. That is one very good reason for your weapon to be out of sight and your hands visible even before they arrive.
shootersnotes.com
"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown
"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown
"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

