Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
16.5" Lightweight Lilja Upper Build Range Report
#12
Hooz Wrote:I'm curious how you're sealing the gas block and gas tube. I've been lapping receivers, bedding barrels (Blue Loctite) and Rocksetting gas block screws for quite a while, but I'm always interested in new ideas. Are you using clamp-on gas blocks or set screw?

Set screw, but I don't use much torque at all on the screws. I bed the block to the barrel with Red Loc tite after checking fit and gas port alignment with calipers before installation. This eliminates chances of gas leakages between the barrel journal and block.

I also Blue Loc tite the gas tube into the block so there is no leakage from around the tube. Once I do the first test-fire for reliability and accuracy, I remove the handguard, degrease, then Cerakote over the gas block to protect it from corrosion, as well as the flash hider. It's tedious work that could never be done in a production set-up, but I wanted it to be right.

I sent the upper to MKo, and he reported .5" groups at 100yds upon zeroing before the hunt. He's a much better shooter than me, and has the trophies to prove it spanning many years now.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply


Messages In This Thread
16.5" Lightweight Lilja Upper Build Range Report - by LRRPF52 - 11-23-2015, 09:33 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)