10-10-2011, 03:48 PM
pinzgauer Wrote:There are enough people shooting great groups with .300 necks that any supposed accuracy advantage has largely been debunked. Now you hear "I don't want to overwork my brass" as the justification for the .295 neck. (Most recently on some of the anti AA forums)
My read is this whole subject is just a way for some mfg's to differentiate themselves as "better" or custom, etc.
Regarding SAAMI vs potential brass/chamber issues, recognize that even in well established rounds like .243 and 7mm08 that you still find factory bolt guns which do not like factory brass. IE: Shoulder radius issues, etc. We experienced this with an RP rifle even with RP 7mm08 unfired brass! Yet full length resize it and it's fine.
Roger that. Any gunsmith or precision rifle builder who was chaffed about not getting a Grendel reamer and free license, but saw the advantages of the caliber in the AR15 frame and was getting tons of questions and demand from customers wouldn't want to be the guy telling customers "no, I can't do that" all the time, so a better "but still takes the same cartridges" chamber/reamer would be offered, and voila. I've read such claims where the guys say their pipes will shoot .2 MOA, while their AA barrels are garbage, without specifying if the AA barrel was an economy ER Shaw, or a cut-rifled stick at twice the price. The cut-rifled pipes with real Grendel chambers shoot like a bench gun, from what I've seen. I personally am convinced to stay away from the .295" chambers, unless I was chambering in a bolt gun for some reason.
