Savage conversion... Please share your experience
#2
Hi 1911,
I have just finished converting a savage 308 GL top bolt release to Gendel.
I changed the bolt face to a PTG PPC bolt face, very easy.
The problem I had living in New Zealand was getting a barrel, found a new Howa 6.5 x 55 take off barrel from my Gun Smith and had him fit it to the action.
Had to cut the tang off and re chamber to .264 lbc-ar.
Because my Savage was a blind mag I had trouble making the rounds feed correctly so I got another stock from Numrich, not easy getting a stock from the US now for under a $100 to get round International laws.
I in letted a atasworkz DBM which takes AI Mags, the problem I had was with the MDTTAC 308 mag the rounds would stagger and jam once stacked, I spent a lot of time to make it work.
In the end I used a MDTTAC 223 mag housing AND follower with the 308 spring. Works great now.The 308 mag housing was to fat compared to the 223 one.
You will have better access to different mags than I had.
With your DBM be careful as the new Savages are bottom bolt release, the release is in front of the trigger guard.So make sure your DBM is bottom bolt release.
The rifle ended up at 8.5 lbs with scope. my sons zastava Grendel is 8.5 lbs with scope ,suppressor and Harris bipod.
The reason I went with a savage for the Grendel is I am a lefty, 7.62x39 left handed rifles are like rocking horse shit here.
Will post a few pics when I get a chance.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Savage conversion... Please share your experience - by Doon - 10-27-2015, 08:04 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)