10-07-2011, 09:53 PM
The barrel was ordered directly from AA about 1 year or so ago (maybe 18months ago) as a Bolt barrel combo 24" installed with free float tube. Actually found out it was a Shaw after I received - Never thought to ask.
Groups was 5 shot groups range from 6" to 4" at the 100yd line off rest with irons. Now that is with just reloads ranging from 100grains to 120 grs using reformed brass with AA2520 and TAC. I am not blaming the barrel yet or AA, just trying to figure out what's up.
Prior to the old site going down I mentioned running a 6.5mm jag and patch down the bore and feeling loose and tight spots in the bore I mentioned this in a post on the old site ----whaa laa site goes down. Since that time I have continued to shoot her thinking that maybe she would shoot in, as the bore just could be rough in spots (really not uncommon for a new production buton pulled barrel). I have varied her diet to find out what she would perform with - no good results at any yard line.
Yesterday took her out and fired some 100gr Sierrias with TAC at 30grs (used AA cases for this Virgin WSR primers) 7 rounds slow fire ( like 1 Min between shots you know the drill look in spotting scope observe POI, recover brass observe for pressure signs, rebuild postion refocus eyes to a sharp front post) results - 1" at the 25 yard line, 5" at the 100yard. Tried some 120 Amax did a little better. her rounds count is 300 out the tube prior to yesterday now it is 350 as I have not had much time to work out loads.
After firing yesterday I cleaned the barrel with Breakfree and jag /patch then used used some sweets No sign of copper, dryed the bore and applied Breakfree then dry swabbed her again with only jag and patch. This time however never felt the loose and tight spot I did notice the gas port when the jag got to that location on the barrel (I have noticed the same on issue M16's when jagging and patching just means port is drilled in the Land vs the groove).
This barrel has never seen a bore brush save a nylon one and alway cleaned from the Chamber one pass through coated Dewey one piece rod pull jag and patch pull back reattach jag patch push through until patch comes out clean.
The load "should" hold 1 to 1.5" at 100yds in my opinion.
Now that I am back home (AR) vs being stationed in WV, and near smiths that work on the MTU (Marksmanship Team Unit). I am considering break it apart, maybe get the crown recut and pull a chamber cast. If I decide to stick it out with this barrel or just order a CSS when funding is good to go.
Thoughts????
Groups was 5 shot groups range from 6" to 4" at the 100yd line off rest with irons. Now that is with just reloads ranging from 100grains to 120 grs using reformed brass with AA2520 and TAC. I am not blaming the barrel yet or AA, just trying to figure out what's up.
Prior to the old site going down I mentioned running a 6.5mm jag and patch down the bore and feeling loose and tight spots in the bore I mentioned this in a post on the old site ----whaa laa site goes down. Since that time I have continued to shoot her thinking that maybe she would shoot in, as the bore just could be rough in spots (really not uncommon for a new production buton pulled barrel). I have varied her diet to find out what she would perform with - no good results at any yard line.
Yesterday took her out and fired some 100gr Sierrias with TAC at 30grs (used AA cases for this Virgin WSR primers) 7 rounds slow fire ( like 1 Min between shots you know the drill look in spotting scope observe POI, recover brass observe for pressure signs, rebuild postion refocus eyes to a sharp front post) results - 1" at the 25 yard line, 5" at the 100yard. Tried some 120 Amax did a little better. her rounds count is 300 out the tube prior to yesterday now it is 350 as I have not had much time to work out loads.
After firing yesterday I cleaned the barrel with Breakfree and jag /patch then used used some sweets No sign of copper, dryed the bore and applied Breakfree then dry swabbed her again with only jag and patch. This time however never felt the loose and tight spot I did notice the gas port when the jag got to that location on the barrel (I have noticed the same on issue M16's when jagging and patching just means port is drilled in the Land vs the groove).
This barrel has never seen a bore brush save a nylon one and alway cleaned from the Chamber one pass through coated Dewey one piece rod pull jag and patch pull back reattach jag patch push through until patch comes out clean.
The load "should" hold 1 to 1.5" at 100yds in my opinion.
Now that I am back home (AR) vs being stationed in WV, and near smiths that work on the MTU (Marksmanship Team Unit). I am considering break it apart, maybe get the crown recut and pull a chamber cast. If I decide to stick it out with this barrel or just order a CSS when funding is good to go.
Thoughts????
