10-10-2015, 06:08 AM
I carried open for a day in Yellowstone NP in July. No comments were made to or around me but there was a lot of staring as one could imagine with many seniors from all over the US and world. A couple of rangers on guard at a site where a sow Grizzly with two cubs was feeding on a Bison carcass noticed but neither said anything. Over the years my glow in the dark Omaha Orange '54 streetrod half ton Chevy pickup attracted similar attention but that was a lot easier to adjust to. For me the legal open carry in WY in a NP toruist environment was not comfortable but maybe that is just me. I pack conealed 1911s daily and I ended up doing the same in the park for the last three days feeling more confortable breaking WY law than carrying open. I carried a fully vetted but mostly stock Colt 1911 insead of one of my good 1911s just in case there was a problem and forfeiture became an issue. When I lived in Cody in the late 90s most of the locals packed SAAs open with normal full western dress all day on July 4 for the parade and day long festivites, many years before open carry was legal in WY. The different mix of toursits loved it! The various Constabulary ignored it.

