03-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Hoot Wrote:Thanks for the education Bill. Is there a detail rich, historical accounting of the Grendel out there for the reading? I mean, not just a 1-2 page magazine intro article, but one that tracks the design and evolution side of the firearm as well as the ammunition side?
Thanks,
Hoot
It would take a book, with all the twists and turns, people involved, etc.
David Fortier published this article:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=202148&light=
But its really a condensation of a lot of information to make it magazine friendly. The bare bones are there, but there is more information out there. I'm hoping Fortier or one of the other gunwriters decides to write it all up, but I do know that there are a lot of differing opinions about WHO had how much input and influence, and WHEN it happened, and WHY there was a breakup of the original group that worked on it.
Form what I know, Arne Brennan started working on the cartridge in the 1990's basing his work on stuff that Dr. Lou Palmisano had done even earlier with the PPC. The Grendel evolved from that work, with Lapua being contracted to make a modified PPC case for the Grendel by Alexander Arms.
There's lots of "he said, BUT HE SAID" politics, along with a financial restructuring of AA, etc. involved in it, and lots of hurt and bad feelings between the players. There is plenty of ugliness to go around, which I'm realizing is part and parcel for the industry. (Witness the recent AAC Blackout takeoff of the Whisper cartridges.) I don't think the liberals will have to outlaw guns, I think the industry is going to kill itself!
I've started putting together a compilation of the stuff that I can find, posted by Bill Alexander, Arne Brennan, etc., but there are lots of holes in it. Unfortunately, a lot of information was lost when the last board crashed.
Regardless, every version of the story is tainted by the point of view it is told from, as would be expected.
Someone like Fortier could probably talk to all the parties and get all the points of view, and hopefully be able to come up with a reasonable, relatively unbiased history, but I'm not sure the market would support all the work!
I've collected all the magazine articles over the years that I can find, but I know that there are some I don't have, including those written by Stan Crist, which had been on our previous board.
