03-31-2015, 04:35 AM
lamrith,
Each muzzle brake has its own method of torquing - crush washer, split washer, lock nut, etc. I am not sure about the Killer Innovations. If it uses a lock nut, it's straightforward - use a backing wrench to hold the brake aligned and steady while tightening the lock nut. The other methods require a fixture to hold the barrel from torquing against the upper receiver while tightening the brake. At least that is the theory. Most people here will agree that you do not want to tighten the brakes against the barrel nut, and I am among them. A lot of guys do it anyway, and often get away with it, but there's always the risk of damaging the upper or torquing the barrel loose from the barrel extension.
The point is this: Correctly done, a muzzle device which requires a compression washer needs to be tightened with the aid of a barrel vice of some type.
I do NOT recommend using any thread lock or super glue on the muzzle threads, as I believe that it can come back and bite you if/when you remove the brake. If you feel compelled to use it because the brake won't stay tight, then I suggest LocTite Blue. If that occurs, though, I would suggest that it is for lack of a proper washer or lock nut.
ETA: Klem beat me to it - I forgot he is usually up at this time!
Each muzzle brake has its own method of torquing - crush washer, split washer, lock nut, etc. I am not sure about the Killer Innovations. If it uses a lock nut, it's straightforward - use a backing wrench to hold the brake aligned and steady while tightening the lock nut. The other methods require a fixture to hold the barrel from torquing against the upper receiver while tightening the brake. At least that is the theory. Most people here will agree that you do not want to tighten the brakes against the barrel nut, and I am among them. A lot of guys do it anyway, and often get away with it, but there's always the risk of damaging the upper or torquing the barrel loose from the barrel extension.
The point is this: Correctly done, a muzzle device which requires a compression washer needs to be tightened with the aid of a barrel vice of some type.
I do NOT recommend using any thread lock or super glue on the muzzle threads, as I believe that it can come back and bite you if/when you remove the brake. If you feel compelled to use it because the brake won't stay tight, then I suggest LocTite Blue. If that occurs, though, I would suggest that it is for lack of a proper washer or lock nut.
ETA: Klem beat me to it - I forgot he is usually up at this time!

