My opinion,
With scopes, you pay more money for certain things.
1. Lens quality
2. Reticle robustness (won't move due to recoil )
3. Reticle tracking / return to zero
4. Target turrets
5. Tube diameter
6. So tough you can use it as a hammer
7. Bells and whistles
8. Other
Not all of those are needed for every application and every rifle. A scope on a 6.5 Grendel AR isn't going to experience the recoil beating that it would if it were mounted on a magnum caliber bolt gun.
If you are just going to zero a hunting rifle at 200 yds, you don't care if the reticle adjustments track perfectly, return to zero, and that each click is exactly 1/4 MOA.
If you don't need to quickly dial adjustments, for different ranges and wind, you don't need big target turrets. I occasionally shoot at longer ranges, but I have time to screw off the caps and make adjustments. I use a BDC reticle for hunting. The smaller, capped turrets are more robust, lighter, and less likely to get snag on branches.
Tube diameter just gives you more windage and elevation adjustment.
With scopes, you pay more money for certain things.
1. Lens quality
2. Reticle robustness (won't move due to recoil )
3. Reticle tracking / return to zero
4. Target turrets
5. Tube diameter
6. So tough you can use it as a hammer
7. Bells and whistles
8. Other
Not all of those are needed for every application and every rifle. A scope on a 6.5 Grendel AR isn't going to experience the recoil beating that it would if it were mounted on a magnum caliber bolt gun.
If you are just going to zero a hunting rifle at 200 yds, you don't care if the reticle adjustments track perfectly, return to zero, and that each click is exactly 1/4 MOA.
If you don't need to quickly dial adjustments, for different ranges and wind, you don't need big target turrets. I occasionally shoot at longer ranges, but I have time to screw off the caps and make adjustments. I use a BDC reticle for hunting. The smaller, capped turrets are more robust, lighter, and less likely to get snag on branches.
Tube diameter just gives you more windage and elevation adjustment.
http://www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

